Grand-mother's Response to One Horrible Dream of Mine

By

Obododimma Oha

Those whose grandmothers are still alive do not know what wonderful treasures they have around. Grand-parents love their grand-children in a special way and would look for the best solutions to their problems anytime. Grand-mothers, particularly, like carrying the problems of the grand-children on their heads and would go at any length, even if it means consulting seven-headed spirits, in search of answers. They are also delighted when they are approached by their grand-children with their problems. Then, they would with clear sincerity and dedication swing into action. So, approaching grand-mothers with a narrative of problems is those problems half-solved! Don’t grand-mothers plunge in as if those problems are theirs? (And, indeed, those problems are theirs in those fresh little lives). So, they are justified by their confronting the problems with utmost dedication and full sincerity until the problems are finally solved. And don’t grand-mothers wish that their grand-children experience the thrill in “fighting” with siblings over her handbag to have the akara balls, half-eaten kolanut, or tempting groundnuts?

It was in the context of this commitment from a grand-parent that I once approached my maternal grand-mother and narrated to her a regular horrible dream that I used to have. And what was that dream? I dreamt that at night, I would want to pay a visit to the homestead of an uncle nearby, but terrible demons would always come out of the bush and rush towards me to destroy me. I would then run for my dear life back home and towards my mother’s part of the building. Then, I would knock frantically at the door which would later be opened and I would race in to solace! That would be the time that I would wake up, sweating profusely but safe and happy to be awake. This terrible dream repeated several times until I thought it best to tell my grandma. Anyway, I don’t know exactly why I told her. Maybe because I saw incredible sign of love towards her grand-children in her. Maybe.

Grandma was visibly disturbed when I narrated the dream to her. She thought and thought for a while, alone in her world, but obviously searching for answers and consulting! Finally, she looked up, the light of confidence in her eyes. The signs of worry had vanished. She said to me: “Anytime again those demons come after you in your dreams, charge at them in defence. Don't be afraid of them. Instead, get angry and mad at them for daring. Just do it.”

I knew that grandma’s words must have come with enormous power to solve the problem. And I knew it was the best decision that she was taking on my behalf. So, I went away happy, knowing that grandma was with me in my dreams and would charge at the demons that dared charge at me. When next I slept and had the same dream and the stupid demons came after me, I charged back at them as grandma had recommended, and before I knew what was happening, all the demons that came first were easily destroyed. Other ones following them ran for safety, avoiding the greater charging force approaching! Anytime later that I dreamt of paying a friendly visit at nighttime to the homestead, no demon attacked me again. I sang and made all the joyful noise, but no antagonist dared approach. Later, I narrated my final encounter with the demons and the freedom of movement that I enjoyed to my grandma, she only nodded her head as if to confirm my story.


Why won’t I be happy to tell it to my grandma, my closer goddess? If grandma could do it as a “living”being, can’t she do it even better as a spirit, even recruiting an army of spirits to join her in devouring stupid demons that want to turn my joy to sadness? Behold, the spirit of goodness would always triumph. I only need to tell it all to grandma and to do as she says. Sorry for stupid demons that try to curtail my movement! They are fighting with mighty forces.

Comments