An Entry after an Exit

By
  
Obododimma Oha

I am blogging about my birth, when, as a celebrant, I should be popping champagne or enjoying fresh palm-wine, teaching aviators how large mouths can sieve the sap of the tree better in this galaxy! But, pardon me! I will make your own drink available electronically. I am sure that experts on the technology of electronic communication are currently working on how entities can have food and drink sent to them and actually consumed, not a mere mimicry!

That explanation given, I would like  tell (or "re-tell") how I was born. “Re-tell” is a better lexical choice, for I am only telling what my mother told me about my birth. Mind you, I was not aware when I was born: I only dropped and cried! Cried my little heart out. So, it is a mere report of a report, twice or more removed from the actual experience. So, I am re-telling my mother’s story of my birth. Perhaps I should add a little bit of the story of the pregnancy, in case you want to connect my birth to the pregnancy. Perhaps the handling of the pregnancy  by my mother is naturally related to my birth in a way!

Yes, the pregnancy. You already know who did it; if you don’t, you  are a mumu or you are only pretending, just pretending. Well, that person cared much for the baby in the womb and properly registered the pregnant one for ante-natal care. But my mother hated the drugs she was given like the dog hates cow dung! She refused to take them and threw them away secretly. What she was taking instead was kaikai or dry gin. The hot  thing was good for her and for her baby, she reasoned. The hot thing or liquid fire kept her going and she was as strong as a mule! Trust local women; she was strong and would carry her pregnancy to the farm, to market, to church... just anywhere. This is where how and where I arrived comes in neatly.

She had attended a funeral of a kinswoman and participated fully like other women. Then, her labour started. She just went home – about three kilometers away --- and decided to handle the birth herself even before the local birth attendant arrived. She cut a plantain leaf and spread it on the ground behind the house. It was on that plantain leaf that I dropped and cried and cried. So, a funeral, an exit, was my birthday! Even before the local birth attendant arrived with her sharp instruments, she had removed the navel cord by herself and even tried to wash me!

The birth attendant, Mgbafọ, was amazed and had just a little to do in the clean-up part. My mother had done most by herself. Who says that local African women are not warriors, in fact, special forces!

What even made it very symbolic and amazing was that she had just attended a funeral, an exit from this life-world. Then, this birth, this entry. Could it be that I met the spirit of the one leaving on my way but did not know or did not exchange pleasantries? Maybe if that had happened, the exiting soul could have told me her experiences, how what she was leaving was like. Maybe with that, I would have been better prepared! It is not good to leave everything to this idea of what you see you take. Life is not just a matter of chance and coincidence!

Well, the gin angle is not over yet, neither is my mother’s ante-natal habits ready to leave. In fact, those habits were transferred to me. Fire water and natural food had remained my medicine. In fact, just like my mother in her pregnancy, I sometimes refuse to take those industrial poisons one is given at the dispensary or I end up not taking them fully. I will only get better if I discontinue them and hold on to something close to nature and food. I know that fire water, alias a chara mmụọ (that which does not make way for spirits) is not approved of by medical practitioners, based on their Western training. But they are also patients of life. A chara mmụọ is medicine for those of who, sometimes, have to wrestle with angels on the way. Sometimes, one as a terrible spirit too has to refuse to make way for another passing spirit. bụ ụjọ? Is it a constraint of fear? Spirits that have met spirits on the way can tell it better!


Comments