Playing Endlessly

By


Obododimma Oha



The great Nigerian playwright, Femi Osofisan, gave a very disturbing title to his inaugural lecture: he sub-titled it, “Playing  Dangerously.” Trust Okinba Launko with verbal pugilism. That resembles the turn of mind in this blog essay in which I reflect on how I inadvertently turned a dialogic exercise to a  monologic one, playing  alone and endlessly.

The location of this endless play is the Igbo nchọkịrị, which in Yoruba is called “ayo.”Originally, nchọkịrị, a mathematical game of seeds, was played in holes dug in the ground, holes called “houses.” It is a game about acquisition, the goal being to possess all the houses and dominate the game, if possible, take over the mate's houses, dispossess this mate in order to answer “winner,” as in Monopoly. Really, no one likes to be so disgraced. To lose one’s houses, one’s possessions, is to confess that one is not worthy of them, that one lacks the skills to protect them! So, it is disgraceful to lose. And, in order to ensure that one does not lose, one can do any of the following:

(1) try to play effectively, displaying good intuition, forecasting, and wise risk-taking;
(2)   cheat, using every opportunity of the mate’s relaxation of alertness;
(3) do   counting, to know the available opportunities and risks;
(4)  combine (2) and (3) into one dangerous strategy;
(5) waste the other’s time, biting finger nails, but not really without some thinking.

In fact, in setting out the rules before starting, it may become necessary to indicating “No counting’ (Rule 3) clearly. Some players make it the standard rule and even write it clearly on the board (if they are using nchọkịrị modernised and made portable by having the “houses” carved in wooden tray). Some other people may introduce “Touch-and-Play” rule also, making it obligatory for a player to play any own house touched. In that case, there is no change of heart. That, still, is to prevent players from having an upper hand through thinking about opportunities!

It was in the process of looking for #2 above while playing nchọkịrị with a friend when I was teaching at University of Calabar that I ended up playing endlessly, even though I was predictably supposed to stop playing when the last seed met a house waiting to receive it. I was obviously selfish, like anyone looking for an opportunity to avert disgrace by losing their possessions to a better thinker, better player. How did the selfish crook end up in soup?

I have already confessed that I was playing dangerously (although it was just a play). One psychological thing about a game is that the player easily forgets that it is just a game and that one’s life does not depend on it. But I was desperate and playing as if my life depended on it! I combined the biting of finger nails with counting. Yet that did not work or was not enough for the loser. Oh, did I say “loser”? Did I say just that? You see, it could be worse and more painful when this imminent loss is fanned by taunting and verbal terrorism. Watchers could taunt you or your mate, in other to rub it in, may call you an “iti.”  That is the clipped form of “itibọrịbọ,”which is an iconic title one gets as a blockheaded player. When one is called a blockhead, what  is left to that person’s ruin? The person’s face (fellowship, competence, and even autonomy face) is tarnished forever and one wants to ameliorate it. A drowning fellow has to clutch to a merciful straw!

And the straw came when my mate relaxed his watchfulness: I just skipped a house and sought to abort a house of his that was  getting “pregnant.” A pregnant house is a house that has seeds enough to be taken by the owner as a harvest when the seeds are complete. He was a mumu who trusted me for fairness. Terrible mumu and I kept playing, hoping that chance would reward me. But I played endlessly. Why is he still playing? What went wrong? I pretended that I did not know. I played on. One hour later, I was still playing!

Do you call that a game? A game for two or more but one person playing endlessly. As the Igbo would say in a proverb, O chọ ihe ukwu, ya lekwa agba enyi (Somebody looking for an outrageously big thing (out of selfishness), let the person take the jowl of an elephant!). Oh, that could be an excess luggage. And I was carrying an excess luggage, playing nchọkịrị alone and sweating. What was comparable to it was a conversation in which one person dominates, and does not allow the other to take a turn. To dominate, the endless talker could interrupt, seize the floor, even send soldiers into somebody kitchen to turn the soup to find out whether crayfish thugs are hiding there!

I played endlessly and did not like it. The joy of playing with the other was gone. Company was ruined. It was no longer a game. I needed to be rescued from endless play. And was happy when my mate, my friend, intervened and pulled me away, saying I should stop playing because he wanted to leave.

Even though I sought to formalise this endless nchọkịrị, seeking to co-author a paper on it with a  mathematician, I have not forgotten that selfisness and greed were behind this endless play.

Comments